The first thing to do is make sure that shares are allocated to each owner of the company in proportion to their level of ownership. For example if you have two people with one person owning 40% of the company and the other 60% then you may choose to reflect this by allocating 40 shares to the first person and 60 to the second. However 4 and 6 would also work, as would 400 and 600.

The second part is the amount paid per share. The amount paid for shares is given to the new company by the shareholders upon registration and is the initial capital of the company. If you have investors then you can reflect the amount they invest in the price they pay for the shares. However if there are no investors then it is common to keep the initial capital small, eg $10 or even as little as $1, in this case the amount paid per share would also be small.

Unpaid shares and share classes other than Ordinary are for advanced users.

If there is only one owner of the company, then a typical way of filling out the share allocation section is as follows:

Amount: 100
Class: Ord (Ordinary)
Paid per share: $0.01
Unpaid per share: $0

By making the number of shares 100 it gives you a bit of flexibility down the track if you want to sell part of the business.


Disclaimer

The information on this site is of a general nature only and does not constitute legal, tax, commercial or other professional advice. You must seek your own advice in relation to your particular circumstances before acting. View our full terms & conditions.


Need more information? Check out other frequently asked questions.